Saturday, July 26, 2008

25 July, 2008 -- Marshall & back


Poor turtle, the flat one, ate breakfast, then fell off the edge of the concrete and flipped himself upside down. Before I could get the camera focused, he was almost upright again. Then he wandered off for the day.


I drove my vw towing the tow dolly, to Marshall to retrieve the boys'
van, as they abandoned it there when they moved the cropdusting
operation to the Ames, Iowa area on Wednesday. This old restored car
pulled out in front of me and I couldn't catch up to identify it.


Air conditioner has quit again in the vw, so by the time I reached Marshall, I was soggy. I dried out on the way home under the air conditioner in the van. Ted, the Marshall airport honcho for today, helped me hitch up the rig, and I visited a few minutes with Dyer the Flyer before he took up another load. He said he wished the boys were still in Marshall, as work just keeps coming in!


You know, we never had air conditioning, back in those years when my dad drove our Nash Rambler all over the west on our two-week vacations, at 45 mph, camping out in makeshift tent/leanto against the Rambler. He always favored Ramblers because the seats laid down for beds at night. We NEVER spent a night in a motel. My sister and I would stick our legs and arms out the windows draped with wet washrags as we drove along. Those were the good old days... (???) (Maybe). Of course, the humidity out west was only about 10 percent on a very humid day! I don't remember my clothes ever being wet unless we stood out in the rain, or dipped
into the Pacific, or jumped into a lake in Idaho, or the Crystal River in Colorado, or the water hose in Las Vegas.




I intended to get a lightning photo tonight, but it just sprinkled a bit and the lightning quit. Don did airport duty this afternoon, and Ben gathered the war kittens before dark. I set the alarm & closed the gate. Guess I'll hit the hay.

No comments: