Monday, January 12, 2009

12 Jan., 2009 -- Spirit of 03


The Wright Flyer replica, built by Bill Ghan and assisted by the Experimental Aircraft
Association Chapter 1218 members, hangs in the ticketing area at Springfield Branson
National Airport.

Do people notice it? Yes and no. I spoke to a couple of ticket agents, and they both said
some people see it, most people don't notice. They were excited to hear the stories I told
of building and flying it on January 10, 2004, five years ago, at Willow Springs.

While I was shooting pics, a security guard nosed in over my shoulder, and said... "I've
been trying to find the right angle to take a picture of it, and it's so cluttered in the
background... " (I was ready to be hauled off in high security handcuffs). I mentioned
that I had gained access to the catwalk when we raised the Flyer to the ceiling, and he
looked devious, said "don't dare me", so I did, and we did, and he found a new viewpoint.

And, he pointed out that the ghosts of Orville and Wilbur and Bill and Don were dancing
around in the pictures! His name is Randy, he's a former Marine, and he was really
impressed with the Wright Flyer!

This afternoon, I rigged up a cowbell. Ok, I'll tell you why.
This morning, in conversation with Betty, a radiation patient, she lamented that she
forgot to bring a cowbell from home to ring after her final treatment tomorrow morning.
(There is a big schoolbell on the wall next to the therapy room, and patients who complete
treatment give it a big heave-ho to announce to the world that it's over!) Betty just
wanted to use her own bell.

Sooo, I went past Race Bros. Farm Supply after terrorizing the airport, and thought
"hmmmmm"... I took it back to the treatment center and left it with the techs for Betty,
in case I'm not there at the right time in the morning.

Which way... This place is a rat's maze of halls and tunnels.

No comments: