Wednesday, December 17, 2008

17 Dec., 2008 - The big honkin' snow that did (almost)


All I want for Chriffmuff iff my thoo pffrun tfeeef, my thoo pffrun tfeeef, my thoo pffrun tfeeef.

I got to use my rusty Spanish this morning. I was in the breakfast room at the Day's Inn and after greeting the lady attendant, I asked her if she had to drive very far to get to work in the bad weather. She looked puzzled a minute, then said "9:30".
o. k.
So I dredged up some thoughts, motioned her to come over again, and asked "Que es su nombre?" (wrong grammar for what is your name). She puzzled awhile, then replied "Cota". We shook hands and I told her my name.
Then I asked "Donde es su casa?" She looked at me funny, and said "En Sprenfild?" I nodded, and she rattled off the name of a street. When I left the room and started down the hall, she came out and called after me and waved big time, "Bye bye", and we exchanged Feliz Navidad.
Do you suppose I'm the only person who talked to her all day?

The million dollar machine and part of the crew. That whole thing rotates and beeps and hums. How many cups of coffee could this thing dispense? Or is it a time machine... thwuurp, suck you right up in there. That round part at the top contains a couple of rows of little teeth. Maybe give you a close shave? (They are behind glass, so I can't stick my fingers in there; they knew I was coming).

Almost forgot: when I went to my car this afternoon, in this huge hospital parking lot, I was greeted by big honkin' honk honk honk... And a guy got out of his big honkin' Dodge pickup about twice the size of my VW, right in front of me. What....
I had seen a lady wandering down the rows of cars, and it clicked, so I went back a few steps and hollered at the lady, she turned around, and sure enough, they were a match. She didn't hear his honking, and he was about to get frustrated. By golly, he was wearin' overalls, too! And a Carhart jacket. So we decided he'd get a lasso, he'd do the headin', I'd heel'er, and we'd get her back to the truck, by golly! She laughed at us. Dunno why. I'm wearing a Carhart jacket, too.

St. John's, my new home for a couple of days. This is a big hospitality room, no carpet, two beds & indoor plumbing. I had heard grumblings from a previous tenant last month, and had visions of a cot and a bucket for bathing. Not so. And all the people at St. John's are top-notch.

Fonda, you were born here. Do you remember? When we took you home, we laid you across the front seat in between us. Car seat???? Whassat?

No comments: